Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ok, a little peek into the going on's in my life right now!

~ A person must always be in a forward moving action of achieving, challenging, and making change~
So today I have an interview for an HR coordinator position for a full service hotel here in the Twin Cities. I blindly applied for the job last friday, when an ex-coworker of mine text me (after almost 6 months of no contact) and tells me the hotel she is working at is hiring an HR Coordinator. Well, my initial thought was that an HR Coordinator job is not typically an entry level job. And well I have pretty much forgotten everything I learned in college about HR, soooo, I'm really not qualified to be coordinating any great efforts on any companies behalf!
Well, I believe, much to my advantage, I could not find the job posting online, and so I asked my ex-coworker if there was a direct email for which to send my cover letter and resume to, and there was. So without knowing the details of the job, I put together my best cover letter, and catered my resume a bit, and sent if off.
Then I hear nothing on Monday, yet first thing Tuesday, I have a voicemail on my phone from that company asking me to come in for an interview. I squeeled a lot and did some happy dances, and set up an interview for Thursday at 10.
Well, I am a procrastinator, so I waited until I was at work last night, to search one more time for the job posting online, and I Found it! And as I was reading the job description, I realized that I was not qualified at all for the job. It lists of things such as
  • Schedule, facilitate, and coordinate all aspects of the Hotel Safety Committee. (I really care so little about safety on the job, this has always been someone else's job. Safety bores me in more ways then one)
  • Facilitate the administration of safety activities and Worker's Compensation case management.
  • Handle ALL written employment verifications.
  • Insure compliance with OSHA standards.
  • And the most dreadful of them all was the last bulletin point of - Working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, governing equal employment opportunity, and civil rights, Title VII, ADEA, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, ERISA, and NLRA, etc.
So to begin, all those abbreviated laws in the last statement, yep, don't know what any of them exactly stand for. So I started off simply looking up what all those meant. (yep, I sure do have "working" knowledge of all the "stuff!") Then scheduling, and facilitating things, coordinating, oh dear.... All things I dream of doing one day, being super organized and in charge of making things happen, but I'm not ready for it yet. So basically is what I am saying is I'm glad I found the job description a mere 6 hours before the interview, so I can only fret and worry, and over-think how unqualified I am for the job for a few precious hours.
But in reading the description, I would be sooooo excited if I did go in and do (miraculously) well in the interview, and did get offered the job, as It is not entry level, and how awesome would that be to jump right into the career I want and start out above entry level! I am so excited.
May I do very well in the interview, and may this be the opportunity I have been looking for to get started in the HR field. May my Bachelor's degree finally start to work for me!
And well, pretty sure my deodorant is failing me with just less then two hours to go before the interview, so may they not notice my stink!

No comments:

Post a Comment